Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ramblings + Up Next.

Thank you so much for all the sweet comments on my last post. You are all awesome!



I've been sick-ish all last week; there's some kind of flu bug going around, my work-place is awash with germs and misery. I was pretty tired and beat up on Wednesday, and so I called in sick on Thursday, and spent most of the morning in bed. (Which is lovely, even when you are sick. I love sleeping.)

After I woke up though, around 1pm, I decided that since I was grounded at home, I might as well get some sewing done. And so I pulled out Simplicity 2700, cut out the Average size 12, and got to work.

I used some fabric I'd bought in India in February. These are a taupe, medium-weight poly-cotton - not suitable at all for fall/winter, but these were going to be in the nature of a muslin.

My motivating cry was - Pants in a Day. I was determined to finish these before the day was done. And I did, mostly, all but the fastening.

Such triumph, or was it?

Meh. I'm not thrilled with the fit, it is a bit too baggy in the butt and thighs. (Pausing to scream in frustration.) I *should* be a size 12, for heaven's sake. Whenever I optimistically cut a size 10, I always end up with too-tight clothes.

(I promise, I will take a photo, since I will get a fair bit of use out of these pants. They don't fit well, but they don't fit poorly either.)

Which brings us back to the Up Next.

I'm determined to get this pants thing right. I'm cutting out the slim fit size 12 tonight, and seeing if that is an improvement. If not, I'll have to resort to desperate measures - tracing out a Burda, which I've always found pretty true-to-size.

4 comments:

Clio said...

I made these pants this spring - in a curvy fit. And am currently making 2 more pairs. That said, I did A LOT of work on them (4 muslins) in order to get a really good fit. They do have a wide leg.

I look forward to seeing how you do with them. Here is my final review - http://fivemuses.blogspot.com/2010/09/pants-revealreview-simplicity-2700.html

Summerset said...

Hmmm . . . pants can be tricky, but once you have a pattern that fits, you're good. Good luck!

AllisonC said...

I have some fabric lined up for pants and was thinking of trying one of my many pristine Hot Patterns, but I will probably go to Burda, like you I find them a good fit.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Keep working on the pants! With a little persistance you will figure out what works...then treat that pattern like gold because you will be able to make pants anytime you want!